Thursday, October 14, 2010
Hey Everyone, today I stumbled upon two Blog's I would like to tell you about!
http://history-of-hinduism.blogspot.com This is an awsome blog all about Hinduism history and Culture. As many Tamil speakers are Hindu, I thought this would be an interesting link for you. I use this site quite often and I really like it.
http://learning-tamil.blogspot.com/ this is also a great blog! It has some Tamil book reviews, grammar notes and reading exrecises very very great resource!
If I find more I will add them and if anyone has suggestions please tell me.
So Until nextLesson Enjoy some Music:
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Hello Everyone, so as I promised today, I will be adding some more Tamil Lessons, to start with today I'm going to add a very short lesson, maybe it can be a little bit of a refressher for you. But I hope you like it and it will prove useful for you.But here are a couple of things before we learn the Vocabulary:
- There is now a Tamil Course on Itunes! Its called Learn Tamil by langauge reef. There is also many apps for Learning Tamil which are fairly useful. Some you must pay for and some are free! But Search in Itunes! If you are interested there is also music you can purchase on Itunes. One Aplication I have is : Desi Radio not only does it have Tamil but Hindi, Telugu, Urdu, Panjabi, Kannada and Malyalam. I believe this App is free, but its great!
- I would like you all to check this http://radiotime.com/Search.aspx?query=tamil it has many Tamil Radio stations you can listen to from India and around the world!I just found this site and I like it very much. I would recomend it to anyone.
- Also check out http://bbc.com/tamil for news and updates in Tamil, also has a news audio option.
Okay, so now that is out of the way. Let's focus on some Tamil Vocabulary. This are pretty useful words that may not prove useful now but in later lessons and in understanding Tamil, I think they are pretty imporant. So here they are-
Peeru-name, although we have learned this before in our basic phareses, I deciced to Include in this Vocabulary list. So the word is Peeru as is En Peeru Asin "My name is Asin".
Niinga-You. Tamil like man other langaugs, has different words for you. This one Niinga means you in a polite way. As if you you were going to ask a stranger Niinga Vijay-aa? "Are you Vijay?"
Vaa!-Come! This a more abrupt way of saying "come!" Respectfully, you should say Vaanga which means more like "please come".
Poo- go! Like the same as above, when being respectful, say Poonga
konja neeram- sometime.
I added this words on my Quizlet Account and you can acess them here: http://quizlet.com/1407082/colloquail-tamil-lesson-1-flash-cards/
*Quizlet is a Flashcard website allowing you to play games and take tests with the FlashCards! Very good site :)
These are some Grammar Point's you must remeber in Tamil.
1) In Tamil there can be verbless sentances. This mostly happens with "to be". For example, above I gave the example of En Peeru Asin which we know means, "My name is Asin," however, if we were literally translating this, it would be "My name Asin". Sort of sounds like Pidgen English, Right?
2) As you have probably read before, Tamil has cases. One of the Cases exsists in Possession. The suffix for this is -ooda. However it is commonly not used with pronouns and is optional when speaking. But you should at least know to regonize it.
Maanavanooda - students
oonga pustagam-your book
Okay, So I think this is Engough for now. I will be adding much more tommorow. So enjoy this lesson and I will be back tommorow posting more things Im hoping to get a Tamil reading lesson up and another grammar lesson up. Stay tuned!
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
1 cup plain rice.
1 cup parboiled rice.
1/4 cup white urad dal.
1/2 tsp. methi (fenugreek) seeds
1 /2 tsp soda bi carbonate
1/2 cup curds the batter.
10-12 tsps. ghee or oil as preferred
water for grinding
2 large onions in vertical slices 2 large potatoes boiled and peeled 4-5 green chillies 1
tbsp. chopped coriander 8-10 cashews halved 1/2 tsp. each urad dal, cumin & mustard
seeds 2 tbsp. oil 1/4 tsp. turmeric salt to taste
Wash the rice and dal together. Add plenty of water and methi seeds. Allow to soak for 7-
8 hours or overnight. Re wash the rice by draining the water 2-3 times. Grind to a paste.
Rawa-like grains should be felt in Add soda bicarb and salt and mix well. Keep aside in a
warm place for 8-10 hours. Beat the curds well.
Add to the batter, add more water if required. The consistency of the batter should be
enough to thickly coat on a spoon when dipped. Heat the iron griddle or non-stick tawa
well. Pour a spoonful of batter in the centre, spread with the back of the spoon to a thin
Pour a tsp. of ghee or oil over it. Spread chutney spread over dosa. Place a tbsp. masala
in the centre. Fold into triangle to cover masala. Remove with spatula when crisp. Serve
hot with chutney and/or sambar.
Chop potatoes coarsely. Chop green chillies. Heat oil, add cashews and brown lightly.
Add dal, seeds and splutter. Add chillies and onions. Fry till tender. Add turmeric, salt,
potatoes, coriander. Mix well.
long grain rice 3 cups
uncle ben's par boiled rice 1/2 (half) cup
urad daal 1 cup
salt to taste
fresh coconut (half a coconut)
green chillies - 3 or 4
dhalia (dried chana/ kadalai paruppu) 1 tbsp
oil - 1 tbsp
mustard - 1/2 (half) tsp
curry leaves - 5-6 leaves
Soak both the rice in one container and the daal in another. Soak for 4 to 6 hours.
Grind the Urad Daal to a very fine paste.
Grind the rice separately and add to the Daal paste.
Add the salt and mix well and leave the batter in a warm place for about a day and half, till
the batter rises.
Pour the dough in the idli makers (if no idli maker - you can pour the dough into a flat
steel plate or bowl and steam it in a pressure cooker - no whistle please).
Steam for about 10 to 15 mins.
Serve yummy hot idlis.
Sunday, May 2, 2010
Follow : http://www.youtube.com/user/rajshritamil to watchfull epiosodes of tamil shows. Another good channel is Sun Tv.
Deal or No Deal-Tamil Style
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
அ a ஆ aa இ i ஈ ii
உ u ஊ uu எ e ஏ ee
ஐ ai ஒ o ஓ oo ஔ au
க் k ங் ng ச் ch ஞ் nj
ட் t ண் N த் TH ந் n ப் p
ம் m ய் y ர் r ல் l
வ் v ழ் z ள் L ற் R
ந்ன் nm ஸ் S ஷ் sh
ஹ் h ஜ் j ஸ்ரீ sri க்ஷ் kshi
Some Vocab also:
மஞ்சள் நிறம் manchaL niRam(yellow)
ஆரஞ்சுப் பழம் aranchup palam(orange)